Pages

Monday, March 10, 2014

Review: My Irish Table


Title: My Irish Table: Recipes from the Homeland and Restaurant Eve
Author: Cathal Armstrong, David Hagedorn
Format: egalley
Pub. Date: March 11th 2014
Source: Netgalley & Ten Speed Press

★★★★★

Five stars.

My Irish Table: Recipes from the Homeland and Restaurant Eve is a cookbook that features 130 recipes from chef Cathal Armstrong, demonstrating the fare of Ireland as well as stories from his personal life.

When I saw this title on Netgalley, I knew I had to read it. I love food and I love my heritage, a portion of which is that of good old Ireland. And yet, I myself can cook little more of this nation's cuisine than soda bread and bangers and mash. Thanks to this book, I have a wider knowledge and appreciation for Irish food, as well as a mighty need to make (and eat!) it all.

The photography in this book is gorgeous, and the instructions are very clear and concise. In fact, the author makes sure that you know everything you need to, offering tips on things like how to stuff a sausage and how to blanch veggies, so even new cooks can find these recipes approachable.

Another thing I really liked about this book is that the recipes are organized by occasion or event. So whether it's Christmas or a fish-filled Friday night, it's easy to access recipes that correlate.

A few of the dishes that I can't wait to try are Foie Gras with Black Pudding and Pears, Shepard's Pie, and Bakewell Tart.

All in all, this is a visually stunning and appetite stirring collection of recipes. Inexperienced and experienced cooks alike can cook from here, and as someone of Irish descent, I'll definitely want a copy of this to keep in my family for holidays. Thanks to Netgalley and Ten Speed Press for my chance to read this.

1 comment:

  1. This is a definite need, I'd love to explore more Irish food and feel like I've had an astounding lack of it in my life. At this rate, we'll need a book shelf in our kitchen to hold all the various cookbooks.

    ReplyDelete