Pages

Monday, September 9, 2013

Review: Magical Fashionista


Title: Magical Fashionista: Dress for the Life You Want
Author: Tess Whitehurst
Format: egalley
Pub. Date: October 8th 2013
Source: Netgalley/Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd.

★★★

Three stars.

Magical Fashionista: Dress for the Life You Want is a book that serves to educate the reader on how to dress in order to get the life they want. Using basic fashion advice in tandem with magick elements such as the Wheel of the year and astrology, Whitehurst teaches how one should build their wardrobe in order to build a better outlook and confidence.

-----

This book is a solid fashion guide, but at the end of the day it really just didn't teach me as much as I had hoped.

A lot of this book read as common sense to me, such as how what you wear can change how others view you, how "dressing to impress" is an ideal that rings true, and that wearing a pretty or sexy pair of underwear can change how you feel about yourself.

However, once the more magickal elements came into play, this guide became more informative to me. I appreciated that Whitehurst gave fashion advice for each element, and for each Wheel of the Year sabbats. While I knew what colors were symbolic of each of the aforementioned, I didn't realize that things like textures or fabrics in particular could help to harness more desired energy. There are also blessings that are given throughout the course of this book, which I thought was a nice touch to truly becoming a "magical fashionista."

I also really liked that the author made a point of mentioning how to dress down when one wants to be invisible. I know that I personally don't always want to confidently stand out in the crowd, no matter how pretty I may look. It was a nice mention that I think a lot of other fashion experts would have probably left out.

Plus, the cover of this book is really pretty. It's catching to the eye and is a good visual representation of the advice tucked within its pages.

I think that those who are looking to get the full potential out of their wardrobe and more fashionable pagans than I would get a lot out of this little self-help guide on being a more powerful you.

Thank you to Netgalley and Llewellyn Worldwide, Ltd. for my copy.

6 comments:

  1. This sounds like a fun book to read, though like you I can see how a lot of that would be common sense. I'll have to keep an eye out for it in the bookstores, though. It should be a fun and interesting read. Besides, I haven't read any pagan books in years. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was interesting, and the sabbat guides were the most helpful to me. If you're looking for a good pagan read, try Seasons of the Sacred Earth: Following the Old Ways on an Enchanted Homestead by Cliff Seruntine. It's beautifully written :)

      Delete
  2. This looks like a book I would like to look through, and possibly the only fashion book I would want to buy. Apart from the common sense, I'm really interested in how certain fabrics and textures can effect the energy of what you wear. I admit I'm rather lax on proper fashion, so the added magickal element to this book is definitely what would draw me to purchasing this book. Thanks for such an amazing and insightful review!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's definitely a good go-to to have on your shelf.

      Delete
  3. That's kinda interesting. I like the combination of the magical elements. I'm all about comfort for fashion these days. could probably use a read through this one!

    ReplyDelete