Pages

Thursday, January 3, 2013

Season of Joy by Virginia Carmichael


Title: Season of Joy
Author: Virginia Carmichael
Format: Paperback, 224 pages
Pub. Date: October 16th 2012
Source: Goodreads First Reads

★★

Two Stars.

I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

This book follows the typical Harlequin-esque romance formula. There's a busy business woman named Calista who volunteers at a local shelter. And then there's the handsome man with a hidden past that enters the picture. Romance shouldn't be in the picture, but it is, and at the end of the day love overcomes all obstacles, no matter how cliche they are.

---

+One plus that I did appreciate in this novel was that the Christian themes were relatively subtle. When I realized that this book was to do with a mission worker, I was a bit put off. I'm not anti-Christian, but I don't personally follow that path. I was pleasantly surprised that there were no preachy moments or lengthy Bible quotes, which I have encountered in other romances.

+ I don't wish to spoil anything, so I'll keep it to the minimum. I didn't see the fire coming. I thought I knew exactly where the plot was headed, but this threw me for a loop. Well played, and a tip of the hat to you.

At the end of the day, there's nothing unique about this book. It's a romance novel that, to me, will be lost on my shelf among the others. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't my thing, either. If you enjoy Harlequin romance- great! You might really like this book! But if you're looking for a different read from the usual, you might want to pass this one up.

0 comments:

Post a Comment