Pages

Thursday, December 20, 2012

Shakespeare v Lovecraft by D.R. O'Brien


Title: Shakespeare v Lovecraft
Author: D.R. O'Brien
Format: Paperback, 125 pages
Pub. Date: April 14th 2012
Source: Goodreads First Reads

★★★★

Four stars.

I received this book through Goodreads First Reads.

Shakespeare v Lovecraft is a novella that follows the classical Shakespearean character Prospero (The Tempest) as he makes a seedy deal with the one and only Cthulhu. Prospero's daughter Miranda, as well as other heroes from Shakespeare plays such as Hamlet, Romeo and Juliet, and Macbeth must make things right in the universe once more, and try their damnedest to save the day.

---

I have no shame in saying that I have nerdy interests. I could sit and read Shakespeare for hours. Contrarily, I have begun a recent obsession with science fiction, thanks to a not so gentle push from my girlfriend, who also loves it. All that being said, this novella is a perfect blend of my interests, offering a new twist on two classic authors.

+The cover alone is enough to draw you in. It features a Shakespearean gent and two Shakespearean ladies, one of which with one of Cthulhu's tentacles wrapped around her leg. The cover alone features a magic circle, Cthulhu, and pretty women. If that doesn't make you want to read it, well, I don't know what would.

+I feel that the works of both William Shakespeare and H.P. Lovecraft were blended well. The language was that of the Bard, while the beasties are fresh out of Lovecraft science fiction. Despite the major contrast in both time frame and writing style, and not to mention genre, this blend seemed seamless.

+Going based off the Bard once more, the violent scenes did him proud. There was a definite horror/gore element to this story that I was pleasantly surprised with.

+Then too, there was definite comedic aspects. Because.... It's Cthulhu. And Shakespeare.

+In case you didn't hear me, Cthulhu is in this book. That gets a plus mark all to itself.

-I'm not exactly sure what it is, but something is keeping me from giving this a perfect 5 star review. If I can actually pin point what it is, I will edit this review and slip it in.

I recommend it to fans of Shakespeare or science fiction, or ideally both. It's a quick, enjoyable read.

Thank you to Goodreads and D.R. O'Brien for the lovely signed copy.

2 comments: